Sunday, June 27, 2010

Elderly Challenge - Observation 1,2,3

During the holidays, I went to the market with my grandma everyday. Firstly, as her grandchild I'm supposed to help her carry the groceries.....secondly it's for the ADMT homework.
Anyway, every weekday morning my uncle would drive my grandma and aunt to the market, where they would have breakfast. My dad would then drive me there after they have finished. Usually, my uncle and aunt would leave for their work, and my grandma would buy the vegetables and go home herself.

First up was her legs. She couldn't walk properly because she was getting old, and her legs get tired easily. It doesn't help when she has to carry heavy goods by herself. The market is slippery and most of the time I would have to hold her. I couldn't imagine what it would be like for her if no one were to help her.

Secondly, the plastic bags. Many a times I asked her to bring a trolley but she wouldn't, saying that it hinders her movement.

Lastly, getting off and on the bus. A lot of times the bus would stop quite far away from the ledge. She has to step down, and get up, which is quite tiring for her. Again, the heavy bags wouldn't do much help.

Just one trip takes so much out of her. She has to do this everyday. Not just for her, but for other elderly people too.

No comments:

Post a Comment